Thursday, June 28, 2012

Free Classroom Set - Days of the Week English and Spanish Cards!

Hi, Friends!

Hope you're enjoying a wonderful week!

My prayers go out for those of you in Colorado and the other states with wildfires. It's incredible to think that we were out in Colorado Springs just over two weeks ago, and that the beautiful homes and hillsides we saw are now in ashes. We were particularly touched by the horrible reality of it all when we saw a haunting photo of the Garden of the Gods and read that the Flying W Ranch that we enjoyed so much was burned to the ground. A very sad time for all.

I have for you today installment number two in your "No Theme" Theme (click here to see part one, and my thoughts on  elaborate classroom themes)  . Here are your days of the week signs in English and Spanish!




Happy Teaching! 

        

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for these! I feel silly to wonder this, but should the Spanish days of the week be capitalized? I'm excited for the non-theme :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, that's a perfectly logical question, Betsy, and it kind of bugged me, too (sort of like pronouncing Knufflebunny "K-nufflebunny" - no matter what the author says,it goes against what I've tried so hard to get into their sweet little brains!). Anyway, I checked on it in several sources - no caps for days of the week in Spanish. Also, the order of days in Spanish begins with Monday, rather than Sunday. I guess it's a good little way to continue to show our students that cultures do things differently, and that we are all different, but we are all alike.
      Thanks for commenting!
      Linda

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this great reply! I see the days of the week capitalized incorrectly in Spanish a lot. The months are also not capitalized, in case anyone was wondering. I so appreciate your checking with a reliable source and also your explanation that these rules vary from language to language and culture to culture. Ah...another on that often confuses people is titles. In Spanish, only the first word in the title of a book is capitalized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate your supportive comment, and also the extra information - good to know, especially about the book titles.
      Thanks so much!

      Linda

      Delete
  3. Hi Linda- also, the word for Saturday has an accent- it is "sábado"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, you are correct, of course! I'll have to fix that.
      Thanks!
      Linda

      Delete
    2. Embarrassingly late, but finally fixed as I am revising these sets!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...